Frequently Asked Questions:
What types of courses does the New York State Dental Foundation offer online?
The New York State Dental Foundation offers courses for both lecture/live credits as well as home study credits. The Foundation's lecture credit courses allow the course participant to contact the instructor in the event they have a question pertaining to the course content.
How and when will I receive my certificate of continuing education?
Certificates of Completion are processed everyday by the Foundation and are e-mailed to the course participants. Certificates are usually processed within 3-5 business days after you have completed the corresponding course exam.
Is the New York State Dental Foundation an ADA-CERP approved provider of continuing education?
Yes, the New York State Dental Foundation is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. For more information, please consult the current edition of the ADA CERP Recognition Standards and Procedures, or contact the ADA CERP at 800-691-8099 extension 2869.
What is Quia?
Quia is the content management software (CMS) that the Foundation uses to host its online continuing education courses. Quia allows users to create a username and password, so as to complete their courses over a period of time. In addition, Quia stores your online CE scores for future reference (until your certificate is released to you).
What software is needed to take the Foundation's online continuing education courses?
The New York State Dental Foundation's home study courses only require access to an internet connection and that the user have a valid e-mail address. The Foundation's courses that are offered for lecture/live credits, use a flash-based software; therefore, if your computer does not currently have FlashPlayer, you can download it by clicking here. In addition, the Foundation's continuing education courses have been optimized for a broadband/DSL internet connection, but will work with dial-up. We also recommend that you are using either Windows 2000, XP, or Vista, or a MAC operating system. The Foundation's courses can be accessed using Internet Explorer, AOL, Safari, or Google Browser.
What are the CE requirements for New York State?
Dentists holding a 3 year New York State license, are required to fulfill the following continuing education requirements under New York State Law:
- 60 Continuing education credit hours every 3 year registration period. 18 out of the 60 credits can be home study.
- NYS Mandated Ethics and jurisprudence course (once in your lifetime)
- NYS Mandated Tobacco CessationOral Cancer course (once in your lifetime)
- NYS Mandated Child abuse course (once in your lifetime)
- NYS Mandated Infection Control course (once every 4 years)
- CPR Course: you must maintain a current certificate (varies 1-3 years) at the time your license expires. CPR must be taken in person!
Dental hygienists holding a New York State license, are required to fulfill the following continuing education requirements under New York State Law:
- 24 continuing education credit hours every 3 year registration period. 10 out of the 24 credits can be home study.
- NYS Mandated Child Abuse course (once in your lifetime).
- NYS Mandated Infection Control course (once every 4 years).
What are my renewal dates?
For dentists and dental hygienists, the start of the dental renewal dates are 3 years before your license expires. For example: if your license expires on September 30, 2012, you go back 3 years to October 1, 2009. You can find your license expiration date on the license itself or here through the New York State Department of Education's website.